HOW TO KNOW GOD
You can have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. The INNER-EMPTINESS you have cannot be filled any other way than by trusting in Jesus Christ as the One who loves you and wants to save you from the penalty of sin and being spiritually lost. Here’s how you can come to know you are saved from being eternally separated from God:
1. ADMIT you are a sinner that was born in sin and that you are spiritually separated from God. Romans 3:23 in the Bible says: “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
2. RECOGNIZE that fi you stay in in you will be separated from God forever in a place of torment the Bible calls hell. All of your ‘good works’ or even church attendance cannot be a bridge to God or heaven. Being saved from sin is a gift you receive from God when you ask Him to forgive you for your sin. Being saved from sin is not a reward for good works. Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages (payment) of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
3. JESUS requires that we become spiritually ‘born again’ in order to have our sin problem solved so we can be accepted by God into heaven forever. In the Bible’s book of John, Jesus says, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again (John 3:3). Jesus also says about Himself, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).
4. YOU can be ‘born again’ and be accepted forever by:
a) CONFESSING to God you an imperfect sinner who needs the forgiveness of the perfect, sinless Savior, Jesus Christ.
b) ASKING Jesus to forgive you of all your sin and putting your trust in Him as the One who can save you from the eternal penalty of sin.
c) CONFESSING that Jesus Christ is Lord of the universe and that He died on a cross as the substitute sacrifice for your sin and then rose up from the grave. The Bible says in Romans 10:9, “That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord’ and believe (trust) in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”
Now that you have trusted in Jesus Christ and are ‘born again’, you need to follow up on your commitment to Jesus. These are a few ways to do this:
1) Get a Bible and start reading it. The English Standard Version is a good start. Begin by reading through the book of John in the New Testament (in the back 1/3 of the Bible).
2) Find an evangelical, Bible-believing church where the pastor teaches from the Bible. If a church puts a lot of emphasis on either church traditions or on using God to get rich, and not Jesus Christ and the Bible, then it is not a good church for you.
3) Find someone who is a committed Christian in your area and ask them to help you learn more about the Bible and what it means to be a Christian. You can find people like this by asking the leaders in your church.
Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, nobody comes to the Father except by Me." — John 14:6